Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Visiting Ancient Greece

What can I say about beautiful Greece and it's islands. I went on an unplanned trip which got cancelled twice this summer but I didn't give up and managed to get my visa and tickets just in time. Managed by Olga Tours; Russia, the trip was a memorable one.


Summer is perfect time to be there. I went to Halkidiki island which is of historical importance with many ancient monuments and places to see.  Travelling in air-conditioned bus the heat was not felt and it made viewing the places very easy and comfortable with frequent stops for food breaks and shopping.

The landscape is breath-taking and diversified. I haven't seen so many different varieties of flora and fauna in a single place. It's easy to fall in love with it. I could see solar panels and windmills which indicated progress in the area which is otherwise dominated by the historical sites and excavation works going on all around.

Some of the places I visited were the Temple of Nike, Theatre of Dionysis, the newly built Acropolis Museum, Epidaurus, Mt. Athos (by ship).  As the saying goes, a picture is worth a 1000 words, I'd rather post some of the pictures I took rather than go into a long narration.

I highly recommend going to Greece if you are looking for a break from your everyday life and need an island to bury yourself in. With tourists flooding the country all the year round one will never feel alone. The local people are friendly and welcoming which makes it even better. So, if you are ready for some Mediterranean hospitality, Greece is the place.

1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful! I've never been and I'd love to in order to see all those temples.

    ReplyDelete